AMERICAN LEGION MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS
ALL MEMBERS MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF
DD 214 OR HONORABLE DISCHARGE PAPERS.
Click on above logo WHY YOU SHOULD BELONG
Prospective members applying for the first time:
Print two (2) completed copies. Keep one copy for your records. Mail the other copy to above address, together with your dues payment.
2. COPY OF *DD214 discharge or analagous documentation to verify eligibility
* Please redact your SSN - we don't need it!
(Request your DD-214 here)
3. Membership dues is $35 per year; may be paid in cash, checks payable to AL Kenneth Nash Post 8, or money orders. (Please bear with us as we work out how & when we'll start accepting credit cards.)
4. If the information is correct, you will be contacted by email. After eligibility verification & payment, your membership card will be sent to you via letter in first class mail.
5. Please see eligibility dates below.
Veterans applying for transfers from your current post to our post must submit
a. Completed Member Data Form (obtain from your adjutant or post; requires signature).
b. COPY OF DD214 OR DISCHARGE PAPERS VERIFYING ELIGIBLITY
c. COPY OF YOUR CURRENT MEMBERSHIP CARD
6. Membership dues payment. The current membership year runs from 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018. If you paid dues prior to 1 July 2017, please remit $35 for 2018. If you already have a 2018 membership card, no payment necessary on transfer.
MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILTY in the American Legion is based on honorable service with the U. S. Armed Forces between:
(April 6, 1917 -November 11, 1918) World War I
(December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946) World War II
(June 25, 1950 - January 31, 1955) Korean War
(February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975) Vietnam War
(August 24, 1982 - July 31,1984) Lebanon/Grenada
(December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990) Operation Just Cause
(August 2, 1990 - TBD)* Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm
*Because eligibility dates from Aug 1990 remain open until a future date to be determined by Congress, all current members of the US Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time.
- Must have served at least one day of active military duty during one of the dates below and honorably discharged (or still serving honorably).
Questions? Contact adjutant at fratij [at] legiondc8 [dot] org, or stop by the post (hours).
Click on the "Application" menu item under Membership towards top left for online application.
To join the the AL Ladies Auxiliary, stop in to the post lounge or contact dcaux8 [at] gmail [dot] com.
To join the Sons of the American Legion, please stop in to the post lounge.